John Parker Estate - 2637 Lake Shore Blvd. West
© Michael Harrison 2010
The John Parker House at 2637 Lake Shore Blvd. W. was built circa 1912. It is one of the earliest homes built on this portion of the Mimico Beach waterfront which was re-divided for development in 1910. It was designed in the Arts and Craft style popular at the time.
John T. Parker was the son of Joseph Parker and Jane Henderson, born in Ontario in 1862. In the 1891 census his father is listed as a shoe cutter and John as a wholesale boot salesman. By 1909 he was President of the John A. Walker-Parker Company, which manufactured footwear at their factory located at 152 Wellington Street W. in Toronto. He married his wife Mary Moore in 1903. They never had any children but they later adopted a daughter Helene Harrington.
He and his family used the house as a summer home until they sold it in 1919. Their main residence was on Lowther Avenue in Toronto. He died in 1936 at his summer cottage on Lakeland Crescent in Burlington (Port Nelson).